Needing a grass eater

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
fur and feathers
Lively Laner

Needing a grass eater

Post by fur and feathers »

This probably seems like a strange question when so many people worry that their chickens will destroy their grass, but is there possibly a certain breed that is more partial to eating grass? Mine far prefer the weeds which (with the constant fertilizing) is actually resulting in a beautiful lawn! (apart from the craters {rofwl}) But now I have to mow more often - my least favourite chore :?
Or perhaps another type of poultry?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Needing a grass eater

Post by Mo »

Well, although they do eat grass the way they destroy lawns is by scratching about and disturbing the roots. And digging dust bath craters, as you have found.
Geese perhaps? they eat grass and have webbed feet so I would imagine less scratching. But you wouldn't want their big smelly poos outside the back door!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

how about a miniature sheep? or some free range bunnies?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Got to be a pair of geese!
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I'll lend you a greedy pony or two .... {rofwl}

Oddly, we've always found rare breeds to be bigger 'grazers' than hybrids. Marans, and other meat breeds of chicken, for example eat large amounts of our grass. To be fair though, they also ruin everything with they big meaty legs digging.

With that in mind .....
As above, geese!
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Apparently, my uncle once bought a goat to keep the lawn trim, but it ate everything except the lawn, including, one day, the washing {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

a local Christmas tree farm lets sheep graze between the trees to save them mowing,
I believe some vinyards do that too.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

A sheep will keep grass down better than anything (providing you have the room) goats (as I've learnt more about them in the last few months) are browsers...they prefer a selection if they can have it (next doors goat loved all our shrubs...rarely touched the grass {rofwl} ). Now we've got the Angora's they do like a selection.

Hens will scrat about but won't eat anything like the amount of grass or in any kind of uniformity that would avoid needing to mow it.

Geese..well they will eat more but inthe same way as hens they won't stick to one area they'll wander and eat as they go...and they will start on everything else as well if they get fed up with the grass...in addition the size of their droppings in comparison...sheep are less messy!!!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny