broody hen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
barkingmad
Lively Laner

broody hen

Post by barkingmad »

Im ok having a broody hen as I know she will come out of it soon. But my only concern is she is looking pale and very thin compared to the layers. Can I give her any extra treats to perk her up. She does eat and drink but I think she is needing a bit extra
So meal worms or protein stuff or something else.????

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: broody hen

Post by Mo »

How long has she been broody?
If her comb is pale that may just be an indication that she's not laying, and will redden when she starts again.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
barkingmad
Lively Laner

Post by barkingmad »

2 or 3 weeks at least. Not sure how long she will be broody though.

I have waited til noon to collect eggs then I shut up the coop so she cant get back in till bed time. But she is huddled up underneath the ramp still insisting on nesting. lol Must be cold though as its slabs. Im going to keep and eye on her daily anyway just wondered if she might like a pick me up..
One other thing I should mention due to my veg growing they are confined to just there own run for a while to give my seedling a chance.
Maybe she is sulking... lol just a thought.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Sometimes when my girls are broody I put lifeguard vitamin drops in their water
which I think helps a bit. One thing to watch out for with a broody is redmite, though
I think it's a bit early in the year for a build up of those, I find mine go mad in the
dustbaths when they come off the nest for a break. She'll probably make up
for it & eat double rations when she gives up!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant