Hens arriving next weekend....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Hens arriving next weekend....

Post by Barkingharper »

... and I've a question.
I've fenced off a large piece of land and built the coop (well, followed the instructions, and after much head scratching and a healthy dose of bad language, managed to sort out the flatpack). My question is, do I have to put the girls in the coop for a few hours so they know where 'home' is? or can I just put them in the run and they'll fine home when it starts getting dark?
I used to have chickens but I cannot remember what I did when they arrived (and it was [/i]15 years ago, and I have trouble with remembering last week!!)

Thanks in advance.
Chrissie.

Sandra M
Lively Laner

Re: Hens arriving next weekend....

Post by Sandra M »

I put them in the run and just go out when its dark and catch them and put them in the coop after a couple of nights they seem to have worked it out and go into the coop.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'd put them in the coop, with the door open and the food/water just outside the door.
If they were going to live in a shed (with windows), maybe I'd shut them in with food & water inside, just for the first day.

2 replies, 3 different answers. So maybe it doesn't matter.
Have fun.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'd put them in the coop first, so that they associate it with safety and home. If they are rescue chickens ie ex battery then they may find too much space overwhelming and may not even venture out for a day or so until they feel more confident - although do as Mo suggests and leave their food and water outside. Otherwise you'll get a right mess to clean up.

You will probably have to do as Sandra says and put them back into the coop at night though until they learn that is where they go to bed. Shouldn't take more than a few days.

Enjoy them!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Barkingharper
Lively Laner

Post by Barkingharper »

Thank you for all your replies. :-D