When will they lay?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
crazylegs
Learner Laner

When will they lay?

Post by crazylegs »

Hi again,
it is very addictive this forum lark, i find myself getting very distracted and spending hours reading all our questions and answers.
anyway my girls are getting on fine 2nd week and all going well, they have been out roaming the back garden for the last 2 days fantastic to watch. no wonder i dont get my jobs done. i think they are about 17weeks old now, so when do you think they might start laying? amy every morning opens up and still no sign. She thinks dad has made a fopar and got boys, but i know better.
im not up to speed but how easy is it to put photos on, im so chuffed that im keeping chucks i want to show them off. (sad i know) or is it?????

Noodle
Lively Laner

Post by Noodle »

Not sad, everyone loves their chooks, as they should!!
With reguards to your hens laying, they are still a bit young and so wouldn't really expect them to start until we get a bit more light now, so probably not until February time, sorry! confused>
I have a couple of 30 week olds who haven't started so I'm not holding my breath for this year!! :shock:
You never know, they can suprise you though!
'Boredom. The desire for desires.' Leo Tolstoy
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Crazylegs

It's never sad to want to show off your gorgeous girls :-D Can't help with the photo's I'm afraid. I'm a total technophobe and have to get OH or small child to do things like that for me! )j;

Our girls were about 17 weeks when we got them. The first came into lay at about 22 weeks, the next at 23 weeks and then a long wait till the third layed at about 28 weeks. :oops:

It'll happen eventually, I kept telling myself that the longer the wait, the more exciting when it actually happened! :-D
Signs to look for are the comb getting bigger and redder. Mine also started eating lots more just before they came into lay. Also some people have noticed runny orange poo a few days before, not sure if this is related though... They also start crouching down when you stroke them. :-D

Hope this helps,

Lucy xx
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

not sad at all wanting to let us see your girls. Look forward to seeing them when you work it out. There is a post telling you how to post pics.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Re: When will they lay?

Post by Dave »

crazylegs wrote: i find myself getting very distracted and spending hours reading all our questions and answers.
sad i know or is it?????

yes i am afraid it is
very very sad
but then we all are :-D :shock: )t'
or we would not be on here!!!!!!!!! :oops:

enjoy you chickens
or go mad trying ^b: :shock: :?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
crazylegs
Learner Laner

Post by crazylegs »

Thanks for the replys,
oh well, i know it will be worth the wait.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My first chook started to lay at about 20 weeks, the others haven't started yet - I am waiting very patiently :?

There is a sticky thread in this catagory which explains about loading photos )t'
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi crazylegs (f+ (f+ (f+

i got 2 more chooks a while back both Point-of-Lay but one is quite beefy and laying the other is quite small and has no comb of wattle so i dont think she will lay now until spring.

so even though i bought them from the same place and they are meant to be same age you never can tell :) :)

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hi crazeylegs

i bought my newbies the same weekend as jo and neither is laying yet i estimate they are 22/23 weeks now but their combs are still quite small although they have red wattles and faces...but i don,t hold out much hope of them laying until the spring

thankfully my older girls are still laying but not as regular today had 3 eggs out of four laying...yesterday had 4..this time of year they can be very up and down!!!

tina xxx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

I got mine at 16 weeks at the end of april, put them in the coop with the pop hole open. Being green, (me you fools), I went back to the coop to see if they had emerged into the run. Nope, so I looked in the coop and was confronted by an egg! Next one took another 3 days and then the rate gradually accelerated to the current 4 a day from my 4 french hens.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
jizzy
Learner Laner

Post by jizzy »

Hi

I have had my girls for 4 weeks and still waiting patiently. Think they are aound 22 weeks now.
I had trouble posting pics until I was given advice today.

Go to www.photobucket.com and set up a free account.
You can upload your pics onto this site.
Then when you post a message all you need to do is to copy the IMG code that is with your picture on photobucket. Just highlight the link, right click and copy and then paste into your post.

Hope this is of help.

Good luck on the egg front.

Jizzy
tucker
Learner Laner

Post by tucker »

I got my three girls 6 weeks ago. I am not sure how old they were, probably 14 / 15 weeks or so.

I got my first egg last weekend and 2 of the three are now laying, yet I had expected it wouldn't happen till spring, so a nice surprise.

Mine had very little comb but after weeks of it looking no different, it seemed to grow all of a sudden. The third one still looks a couple of weeks behind, yet I had her down as the oldest when we picked them up!! You can never tell...
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Hi Crazylegs,

I`ve had my girlies 2 weeks, they are now about 21 weeks and 17, and no eggs yet. I`m not worried as I thought this would be the situation when I got them. But I could do with just the one to prove to cynics at work that they will produce at some point!

Also need to borrow a teenager to show me how to do photos. I would rather just look at them in the flesh (or feather).

I`m glad I`m not the only one to find this forum addictive. I was caught having a quick "fix" at lunchtime by the lads at work! I made them show me how to use the interactive whiteboard to do it, as revenge for shopping me to the head teacher! He thought it was hillarious as I`ve only usually show an interest in tracking the results at Crufts, and watching Wimbledon on it in the past!
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
olpoll
Lively Laner

Post by olpoll »

my guess is early next year January maybe february
Thanks Andrew,

1 dog (ollie),1 rabbit (lucy),1 cockerel (young brian), 11 hens, 5 call ducks, 2 budgies, 20 goldfish (with pond), 200 gallons of tropical fish,.....and one very lucky wife (alison)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aha just found out if your girl hasn^t layed yet then it maynot be until next year? That^s good to know, okay I wont be getting eggs, but at least there will be no worrying involved with my Abby! I am not worrying about Alice as she is so healthy and very feisty and was producing an egg a day the minute her comb grew but since last week not one egg, it^s as if she knew the clocks had changed. Don^t want to think anything is wrong with her...It is a good job I have my girls as pets as they were sold as Point-of-Lay and anyone just after their eggs would probably not be too impressed. Luckliy nextdoor^s are at it so can nick one for the yorkshire pudding tomorrow, though their 5 year old silkie has stopped about the same time as Alice. P.S. I got my girls second hand from my neighbour from a bird farm Sept 21st.