Metal framed runs - opinions please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Joseyjo
Learner Laner

Metal framed runs - opinions please

Post by Joseyjo »

I am getting some rescue chickens after a break of no chickens for a few years and having moved, so I need a new run. I've bought a second hand eglu house without run, but I would like a larger walk in run but trying to keep costs down. I've seen lots of metal framed runs on eBay and also second hand, which seem very cheap compared to wooden ones, but I'm not sure they're really ok for chickens?

https://www.feelgooduk.net/products/sma ... nised-cage

This is the kind of thing. I know it would need sturdier weld mesh adding lower down and I was thinking of kick boards around the bottom too and some kind of cover. Could foxes get through the chicken wire higher up though?

Does anyone use one of these or adapted them to make them work?

Thanks

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Metal framed runs - opinions please

Post by Mo »

I've not kept hens for a while. But I agree about needing to fox proof. Are the avian flu regulations still in force.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Joseyjo
Learner Laner

Post by Joseyjo »

Thanks for replying Mo. As I understand it the avian flu regulations have been relaxed at the moment but I would probably keep it partially if not fully covered anyway to keep out rain. Do you think if I left wider mesh on the upper part it could let small birds in? I hadn't thought of that. I imagine there'll be more restrictions again at some point. I would hope to let the birds free range some of the time when allowed.

I wonder whether the amount of fox proofing would mean I'd be better off just building a wooden run. But it does look a good sturdy frame to start with and I think I could find one for a very good price second hand.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They other thing you might think about is foxes digging under the frame. As long as you shut them in the Eglu at night that run is better protection as free ranging though.
I doubt if small birds are really the problem in spreading bird flu.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

We have been looking at purchasing a polytunnel frame for a contained area for a different breed of chickens from what we currently keep. The thoughts behind it (which will differ from here to being in the UK) the dome shape will allow any heavy snowfall to slide of it and it should be more resistant the strong winds we face here. It would be covered in fine bird meshing to prevent all other birds from being able to enter and be partially covered to allow the area where the coop was situation to remain safe and dry from whatever the weather can throw at it. We would lay wire meshing on the side wall overlaps to prevent anything digging under to gain entry.

We would also situate this set up within our electric poultry netting system which serves us well and has kept all the foxes, jackals, boar, stray dogs etc. here from harming our livestock.

I will add that we have successfully kept our birds secured at night in their coops behind electric poultry netting with no issues but that would contravene the Avian flu regulations that are constantly being imposed in the UK.

A few things to look up that might help.

Metal frames - https://gardenlifedirect.co.uk/
Nutley's 8m Wide Green Woven Bird Netting Strong Lightweight Pest Control
Outsunny 6 x 3 x 2 m Polytunnel Greenhouse, Walk in Polytunnel Tent Metal Frame

Good luck in your endeavors.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Joseyjo
Learner Laner

Post by Joseyjo »

Thanks Trev, I guess a polytunnel frame would be similar to those metal run frames. I had wondered about using an old aluminium greenhouse frame in a similar way but that might not be as sturdy.
I'll look at those links, thanks
manda

Post by manda »

Hi Joseyjo - sorry didn't see this...welcome :-D

I have a metal run like this that I turned into a chicken tractor - it stands up to all sorts and gets moved every 2 weeks or so. I'm in NZ so we do have predators but not foxes but I'm from the UK originally so know the issues.

Personally I would cover the whole roof so you have plenty of shade for them...if they want sun they will go into it ...the other bonus is it will keep the rain out because I'm assuming it will be a static run it will stop it turning into a quagmire in the winter.

For protection - yep smaller mesh will stop them sticking their heads out or anything getting in that's bi enough to hurt them...if it's static then you can run a piece of mesh say about 12-18 inches wide around the perimeter of the run - pin it down flat to the ground - the grass will grow through it to hide it and further secure it and stop anything digging underneath.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny