karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

When we meet again you can see the extended version on my phone :-D

Dory Woo is growing her tail back, and has little bristly feathers sprouting on her face. The top knot has lost the odd feather but is still intact! She seems more flighty than usual (as if that were possible) so I wonder whether there's another phase of moult on its way. Chestnut seems to be shedding head feathers too. Tiddly has a cast iron constitution and is hanging on to her feathers, even though she could do with growing a nice new set!

The cat flap knocking continues, and she is definitely not politely doing it!

We've been away for a week on holiday, so neighbours have been looking after Jaspy & the girls. Jasper as good as gold but the girls... have been refusing to go to bed! The amount of mealworms they've got through, apparently they tried laying a trail to tempt them in but it didn't work. Honestly, I never had them down as Machiavellian!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I love bristly face feathers, Honeybun is doing them now. You know the girls always play up their minders, little minxes {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The cat flap tapping (TAPPING???) has got worse, now that hubby has been lobbing pies through it. Yes you read that right - PIES. Steak & kidney ones that we bought reduced but never got round to eating. I haven't seen this myself, just the empty pie dish foil and a load of crumbs. Not a smear of gravy. Bit worrying wouldn't you say??? They are permanently camped out round the back door.

|Even Dory Grey has started tapping on the cat flap although to be fair Dory does tap, it's Tiddly who thumps it.

Dory's tail is coming along nicely. She's starting to look less like a quail. I've got some pics on my phone to load up )t' Interestingly enough, Dory's new feathers seem to be growing back darker than her old ones.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

good grief! pies! be careful, you might find a Nobear outside your door any day. I'm now having mental images of you opening the door and finding a huge crowd of wildlife sitting behind the chickens, all staring at the catflap (I've watched too many Disney films)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

What lucky girls Karen, butternut squash and pies! Good thing my girls can't read or they'd be demanding a pie as well.

We have the tapping as well on our door, but I think it's more of a head butt as they as try and look through the glass bless them.
*Katie*
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen where are you?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hope you are well , Keep in touch please.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Blimey it's been a while. Having a very busy few months with work, I've been away a lot. So I haven't spent that much time with the girls, especially since they are going to bed around 3.30/3.45 ish these days. At least it's winter solstice soon and the days will be getting longer again!

Dory Grey is still moulting, I think she's practically finished now. She looks lovely, got some pics to sort out. Since she's been moulting, she's become much chattier, and makes lots of little coos and cheeps which are delightful!

Chestnut is moulting again, she's a very sickly moulter and was wafting round the garden looking very sorry for herself. She's picked up now she's dropping feathers again, although is looking a bit ragged. Its definitely moulting season! Even Tiddly is moulting a tiny bit, but she's still laying and zooming round the garden and banging on the catflap all day. In fact they all are now, even Chestnut has had a go although Tiggs is still the main asbo culprit. Dory is very polite and well behaved when she taps!

Bob, don't worry I got all your photos & I'll put them all up for you when I get a spare evening )t'
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Thank you , I think a couple will give an idea of the flock. Liked to have Studio put up on the homes needed bit for the young girl .
Joan is doing well.
was thinking Andorra but now Croatia has been requested from Karen ( SHMBO ) and wife-let nr 2 .
So am looking for a break 20th Feb time.
Girls will need booking in the Health farm.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Uggg. Said it all on my general chicken forum post really. 1 day down, 29 more to go )gr: This is going to be horrendous.At least I am lucky in that we have a decent coop space and the run is really big enough to house them safely and comfortably. Getting in & out to feed, water and clean will be a real pain though especially as Tiddly won't want to stay locked in for long - I've already had to stick a foot in and shove her back in the run as I was closing the door.

I sat in the garden with the girls on Sunday (little did we all know it would be the last time for a month!!) as - how prophetic - I wanted to take some pics of the little birds as they came to the feeders. So I got some pics of the girls as well as the garden robin. Poor little fellow (girl?) loved to sneak into the girls run and nick the odd pellet but no more of that!

I'll have to resize them and will post up later
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I hate photobucket, it's always so slow even though I resize my photos to the teeniest size!

I had converted one of my fenced off veg patches to become a chicken play area, filled it with leaves so they could dig around in it and have fun.

I might move some of the leaves into their run as they did seem to love grubbing around in it, especially as I had scattered mealworms and seeds in there for them to hunt.

Dory Grey is looking fab with her new feathers and magnificent tail!

Chestnut is still moulting, and looking very sorry for herself (not to mention unkempt as well)

Tiggs is also moulting, although you wouldn't know it - esp as she is still laying! Here she is investigating under the apple tree for some reason.
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen , question for you ,Chestnuts comb is not bright red as moulting , has it a ting of purple .
I was always thinking the girls was ill and maybe they where faking with just a moult and getting treats for their efforts .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi bob

It must be shadows on the photo and probably dirt on her comb too, as her comb is fine and not purple at all. Although sometimes they can go a tinge of purple, I usually find that it's the poo that shows she's under the weather rather than the comb.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The girls are coping with their confinement pretty well, considering. I've put a chair in there so I can spend a bit of time with them - Tiddly straight up onto my knee yesterday, but on the whole they've been scratching about happily so I think they aren't as upset as perhaps they would like me to think!

Chestnut very miserable though. She's lost all but 1 of her tail feathers now, poor mite. Being confined with the whilwind that is Tiggs must be torture when moulting.

At least this means the patio is clear and poo picking the garden is easier! Also quite helpfully, the rat who has burrowed back into the run seems to be helping with the poo picking... )loo(
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Dory looks like Wiggy's twin sister )t' Chestnut has that hooded eyes,bent at the front comb just like Haze. They all look so well bless them.
You have a rat that eats chicken poo yike*