karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

I know that Sandy - but it still doesn't stop us does it?? {hug}

Chickens are a very bad design though don't you think? Too many moving parts to go wrong :?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen how is our Ronnie today?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hey Sandy thanks for asking - the Ron is much the same, spending much of the day sitting down, not eating much but still eating a bit. Bit of a worry to be honest. Drinking her tylan water nicely but it doesn't seem to be kicking in yet. Still shaking her head. Doesn't seem better & doesn't seem worse
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Been away for a couple of days so hubby has been on Sick Chicken Watch, as Ronnie continues much the same as she was. He's been doing the tylan water and that will be 7 days tomorrow, which is what the dose was. I don't think she has a temp any more but her poos are still liquid and yellow, and she's sitting down a lot and eating very little. I may take her back to the vets. I did worm a month or so back and there was no sign of any nor in Remie's poo now but you don't think she could have worms do you? Googling does set off all sorts of concerns.
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh dear, Karen. I am so sorry she is still poorly after so long.

I think I'd be tempted to go back to the vet. When mine were ill last year, Cupid was the first to get it and wasn't too well at all, and she was given a couple of injections straight into her chest - I think they decided to hit it hard, and she was so much brighter by the next morning. I then had tylan for the water to nip the others' problems in the bud.

Poor old Ronnie and so worrying for you {hug}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Karen, we only need Ronnie to get better and then all will be well in the virtual household, come on little Ron >fi< >fi< >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Thanks for all the concern shown to little Ron.

She remains much the same but I think a bit brighter the last day or so or maybe that's my wishful thinking. Her course of ABs is done and I think her breathing's easier. She still spends most of her time sitting down and snoozing, and if I'm out in the garden she'll totter over for a snuggle as she likes to cuddle right up. Not eating much at all although did beak down a fair amount of sweetcorn yesterday - won't touch it today after me buying 3 more cans!

Today it's been noodles and she did eat a bit of scrambled egg plus a few sunflower hearts. At least she's getting something down her even if it's not nutritionally sound! Remie needless to say has scoffed everything she could get her beak on, and Ron tends to wait until Remie has exited the scene before she eats.

She had a spa day yesterday as she had a bit of a messy bum - she seemed to enjoy it, once she got over the surprise (helped by the tin of sweetcorn she had her beak in) and even the blow dry went down well. Bless her! Here she is enjoying a preen afterwards

I am starting to wonder - or maybe that's hope as well - whether she is having another little moult, as there have been a few feathers appearing in the run and I don't think they are old ones but I can't be sure, and I haven't seen her drop any yet. Poos very loose but not so yellow as they were and I suspect so loose because she's not eating enough the little monkey. Ronnie remember is one of those chooks who is a bad moulter, could hardly walk in a straight line when i got her and she'd been moulting ages ago. Gabby was a bit the same when she was moulting, she spent ages sitting down and snoozing (around the time she was recovering from her stuck egg) So this is my latest theory - fingers crossed it is the right one!

And as an extra special treat for us all, here is Jasper blissed out on the couch in his favourite position of between me and hubby

Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Ronnie ,The Ron may well be going through a moult, fingers crossed. You say her poo was yellow is that a really bright dark yellow? If she keeps having those get your vet to give her some strong ABs cannot remember the aname of what I had, I will trawl through my posts later. Cone on Ronnie >fi<
Love love love the brilliiant photo of the totally relaxed Jasper )t'

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi everyone

Just a quick update, I've been knocked out all weekend with some sort of stomach bug thing. Remie totally fine, still clucking round the garden doing her thing. She is the busiest most industrious chicken in the world!

The Ron sadly not so good, she did seem to perk up but the last few days has gone downhill again to the extent that I think she probably won't last much longer. Her breathing's fine and she doesn't feel overly hot so I don't think it's the infection but she's stopped eating and is very very weak now, with a purply comb so possibly some underlying condition has decided to kick in

Poor Ron. She seemed to be doing so well too, really feathering up and looking in tip top health {cry}

I am not having any luck with my chickens lately at all.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

AW Karen, I am wondering if she has enteritus if her poos were yellow? Poor little girl, well she is with you we can only hope for a miracle. It certainly has not been a good quarter for us has it! I hope you are feeling better but I expect your spirits will now be low {hug}

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh Karen, I am sorry - I do so hope she will pick up. As you say, she was starting to look the picture of health and then to be knocked for six by whatever this is, seems so unfair.

She will be getting the very best of care with you {hug} {hug} .

I hope you are feeling better soon too. Sounds like a lousy weekend {hug} .

Sending you both lots of get well vibes.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hi Karen - how are you and how is The Ron?
HP x
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hey HP

bless you and thanks for asking. I'm okay, still not 100% but well enough. I'm away again with work so getting daily reports on Ron which are not good to be honest. It really is a matter of when now. We are expecting her to go overnight - she is falling over & hardly eating or drinking. I think Sandy may be right about enteritis sadly, perhaps that was the underlying condition with respiratory a secondary infection (like Janet was it Sandy?)

remie very lonely & spending all her time at the kitchen window wanting company. Hubby has been looking after Ron, making sure she's comfortable and giving her cuddles which she seems to enjoy. Looks like we're going to have to find a new pal for remie this weekend

not before i have disinfected top to bottom first

all very sad. We feel quite helpless - can't even take the poor girl to the vets to end it as I'm away and he doesn't drive. I feel I've let Ron and her previous owner down.

this will be 4 girls I've lost in about 3 months
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen,
Sorry to hear Ronnie is not looking too good, we are all thinking of you and sending lots of {hug} {hug} .
Amber and Lilys flock.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

It does seem incredibly unfair that you are going through it all again but, Karen, you mustn't beat yourself up. If love and care can save her, then she is more likely to pull through with you than anyone else, because you are so good to your girls.

You haven't let anyone down. Chickens, for all their feisty natures, can be very fragile creatures - there are some serious design flaws in their make-up, the poor loves, and so many things can go wrong just with their egg-laying-machinery, before you even take into account all the other chicken illnesses.

I hope you feel better and also less sad, Karen. I hate to think of you feeling low. I am hoping for a miracle for Ronnie and if she does fade away, I know you will have done all you can.

I do feel sorry for Remie too, feeling lonely. She sounds so sparky, like a cuddly version of my Cupid (but a proper chicken size!). Give her a handful of treats and a snuggle from me!
{hug}
HP x