karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Thanks for asking everyone. I'm afraid we had to have Jasper put to sleep on Sunday. He wasn't responding to the treatment, had gone downhilol rapidly on Sunday morning and we couldn't let him suffer any more {cry}

It's fair to say that we are shocked, and devastated. He was only 7 and we thought we'd have many more years with him. I can't believe he's gone.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I am so, so sorry Karen. I've been there more times than I care to remember and I know how much it hurts.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I am so very sorry to hear that, Karen. My heart goes out to you {hug}
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I hacve lost a few cats ,but they where old and expected , though it does not make it any easier for sure .
Sorry we will not be reading about him in the future .
Happy memories .
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Oh Karen i am so sorry you have lost Jasper. My heart goes out to you. {hug}
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That's so sad Karen. I'm very sorry.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

{hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

What a couple of very hard weeks. We miss Jasper so much, the house is empty without him.

Well, it was until we rehomed a little rescued girl cat last week! We just couldn't stand the shadows in the corner of your eye - you know what I mean. She is very shy, has had a very horrible life so far and is just starting to settle down and trust us. She's haring up and down the stairs at the moment, propbably chasing her tail as she loves to play. She's allowing us to stroke and loves having her tum tickled (oddly enough) and seems very placid but is so easily startled. Hopefully we'll get there. We've called her Marley - hubby came up with the name so I can confidently say she's not named after Bob's rabbit at all! :-D

Photos to follow when I have some.

The girls are being terribly neglected lately, what with this bloomin lock down and terrible weather. So yesterday I dug over their run, which they absolutely loved as there was so much to dig and scratch, helped by teh constant supply of garvos that were being scattered. Dory Grey flew up to my leg twice in her eagerness to explore treats, but sadly her balance isn't good so she falls immediately off. Even Chestnut got up there once too but as there weren't garvos IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE ON DEMAND she got down again.

3 sprout plants have been hung up there for them which they loved, and an apple.

Very happy days for the girls. I've got some pics to go up - and Bob I have yours too, I haven['t fogotten!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh yes meant to say - I think its worming time. I've noticed how clean the fluffy knickers are since lock down, must be the amount of grass they aren't eating. I've noticed a few streaks apeparing and Chestnut's gone very mucky again so it's worth worming. They're due anyway. I think I'm going to try the pellets this time, as they are a captive audience anyway.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Some lovely pics of the girls trapped for ever in their run:

Tiddly

Chestnut keenly inspecting me for treats:

Tiddly and the tomato kebab

Dory Grey exploring my foot

Dory and the tomato kebab

Not quite sure why the sizes have turned out a bit random, bloomin photobucket }hairout{
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Karen - So lovely that you have given a home to another kitten - hope it all goes really well. Five weeks ago we took in a stray from my husband workplace. It was a massive decision to do this as we have 2 cats. We took the introductions very slowly and (touch wood) everyone is doing really well. Lovely photos of your girls. I have been struggling with Photobucket all weekend!! No luck yet - but I'll keep trying. What do you normally worm your girls with? I have used the Flubenvet pellets previously. They are easy to use, but the girls didn't seem keen on eating them and I didn't really know if they had had enough. I last wormed them in the Autumn (October-ish) so they will probably be due in a couple of months.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Karen - How are you and your girls? Has the kitten settled in now - would love to see some photo's. Have a great weekend.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Kitten is a young adult cat, not a baby and has had a pretty rubbish start in life, bless her. She was kept in a pen outdoors with about 4 or so other cats, very little human contact. Possibly destined for the breeding trade? Who knows.

Anyway she's starting to settle down. She's still very easily startled but is really happy to get strokes and loves her tum being tickled - just like Jasper did {hug&kiss} Still miss him like crazy and wish so much he was here. She loves Dreamies treats (blimey she would wouldn't she? Luckily I just found out aldi do a much cheaper version and she seems to like them too so all good.) She loves playing and has far too much energy to burn, but we're not letting her out yet as I want her to feel completely safe & secure in here so I know she won't run off (she is chipped anyway). The little so & so has started tearing the wallpaper and eating it }hairout{ so we're going to have to do something about that. She's starting to approach me for treats and strokes but won't go anywhere near hubby (which is driving him crazy!) and last night even hopped up onto our bed with me in it! She didn't stay long but it's all big breakthroughs. She's claimed our spare bed as hers so quite happily snoozes on it all day.

The girls continue to do well, although I don't think they're liking this rubbish weather. And of course they would much rather be out in the garden. Bloomin end of April, and frankly the restrictions are quite ridiculous - we'd have to net the whole bloody garden off., impossible with all our trees. Mind you, I think they may be secretly quite pleased at the moment as the red kites are over all the time looking for food and coming really low over the garden (they don't normally bother with them but they do seem very hungry lately). It looks like we're in a safe zone for the flu, although I don't quite get how Kitty is in a restricted zone, we're only up the road from each other.

The girls are being wormed now, although I haven't cut their treats as I just don't think it's fair on them! Particularly since a very good girl has come back into lay - Dory Grey is popping out her lovely little blue eggs again! )c( We've had 4 already this week, one every other day. My little brown girl is laying too but I can't tell whether it's Tiddly, Chestie or both, as they seem to come out all different shapes and sizes. Tiddly as well might be starting a moult. Bit of a lash/malformed small egg in the nestbox this morning, hope that's okay. Chestie with a very runny bum and looking plumped up but she always has right from when I got her. She's eating fine, and chasing away the others from food (today, cauli, brocolli and sweetcorn. Yesterday, sweetcorn, garvos, raisins, plus apples and a cabbage knocking about in their run to nibble on). Tomorrow they have an extra special treat of melon in store.
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I have grapes ,melon and 20 cabbages to feed tomorrow. I am in a high risk area . Right pain . Only way is netting with covers I think .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi - So glad that your new cat is starting to settle - she will get there in time. Glad that she has now got a nice home and she can start to put the past behind her. The girls sound like they are doing well too and enjoying all their treats. )like(