Cottage Garden 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Beckscorrick
Learner Laner

Re: Cottage Garden 2012

Post by Beckscorrick »

I have just planted some Garlic, but am new to this........do you need to split it, or does it just grow into bulbs? I have only planted 4 cloves. I tried one on the windowsill and it shot up, but I neglected it and it ios looking very sorry for itself (it was in a seed tray, so guess that I should have transplanted!)
Any advice would be great!
I also put in some spuds today that were sprouting in the veg rack in the hope that they will grow.
Am trying to convince OH that he will benefit if he buys me some seeds lol !
>dum<
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Split the garlic into seperate cloves. Then plant up to the neck. Plant straight into the ground rather than in a seed tray.
Your potatoes should grow. you can buy seed potatoes but my old Dad never bought seed potatoes, he always planted the ones that had sprouted.
elsietoo
Learner Laner

Post by elsietoo »

Garlic splits in frosty weather, so need to be outside unless you want a really large single bulb :-D I am growing some bulbils for the first time this year, and am looking forward to seeing how they do, though it will be a couple of years before I can harvest them at "normal" size.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

RuthG wrote: an old gardening book yesterday and it had this to say about garlic:

it really isnt worth growing unless you are a fan

isn't that true of most things.
Old gardening books were very good at telling you what to plant in your rotations. No good growing it unless you like it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
recoil
Learner Laner

Post by recoil »

Planted two rows of red onions and one row of white onions today. Didn't buy enough, so gotta head back to the garden centre on the weekend hopefully. Garlic are growing nicely. I'll try and get some photos soon.

Also fixed some broken glass on my greenhouse ready to clean out and burn a sulphur candle inside.

Can't wait for spring to properly arrive. :-D