Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

She's gorgeous, but that's a funny looking snail :?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Helen not sure about courgettes in the snail/slug part of your garden as they will go for the plants for certain, legumes usually tolerate wetter ground , especially if you can dig a bit of muck in 1st, I would have though that a not bad place for the broad beans if you are still going to plant the seeds you found. Re broad beans , picked young they dont need the outer skin peeling off before cooking, I grow The Sutton as its supposed to be a dwarf so good for small gardens but I tend to find they dont produce that many pods per plant.Broad bean pods are excellent in the compost bin. I have a recipe for catalonia soup using broad beans and coriander - already posted on the forum last year. You are trying to show me up I thought we had a deal )gr: . Stick to your guns keep it manageable and then you wont nearly kill yourself trying to cope with it- hope you have got loads of lovely bubbles some for in the bath and maybe a few for )hic( .
ps I adore Bailey xxx she brings a lump to my throat every time you post a pic but please don't stop.
{hug}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Since the weather changed and it got so cold again, I have come to a complete halt with my plot. More than that, I seem to have lost all enthusiasm. :? Mind you, digging it over and panting a few garlic was hardly a great start, was it?

Having tried beer traps, eggshells, copper etc, I have been thinking of ways to sort slugs and snails - I saw a thing in the garden centre which looks like it would work it is a spike with a metal bell on and a little cage half way up which you fill with snail/slug pellets. It protects animals and children, whilst attracting and killing the slugs. The only thing is at £9 each they are a bit pricey.

DETAILS HERE
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

So what you need is a small plastic or terracotta plant pot a short piece of bamboo and something to put the slug pellets in. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes. That's what I thought. :? Maybe a couple of corks to stop the pot slipping and a cut down yogurt pot to hold the pellets? I didn't know if the metal was important.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Right, well, writing about how rubbish I have been this year got me a little inspired today - well, that and the sunshine I guess! So I went through all my seeds - chucked out some ancient ones, sorted the ones that need planting and got the seed trays and propagators all washed.

I am going to start them all off on the lounge windowsill, but overwintered the chillis on it and they have whitefly. So had a big scrub up and I have now decided to chuck the chillis out. I usually grow them every year for the kids, but am not growing them again as no-one eats them as I can't prepare them as they almost stop me breathing when cut. I use bought chilli powder.

Then I went over to the garden centre and bought carrot, parsnip and butternut seeds. I am determined to try and grow squash again this year as I always fail miserably really. }hairout{ I really like them and as they store well are absolutely perfect for me. I also bought onion sets, but by the time I got back here the sun had gone in and my enthusiasm had passed! Ha ha ha - I hope it returns before too long!!!

So I am going to be doing a little 'virtual' gardening (or dreaming!) this evening. Mind you, the garden centre looked so fab - bursting with life and colour again after the drab winter. I am sure I will get more inspired when I am back at work there in a couple of weeks.

BTW Noticed Unwinns sell some of their veg seeds with companion seeds in too. I also looked at the slug bells....they are rather sweet.....I suppose they are to flower pots what skelters are to egg boxes. )grin2(
Helen xx

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

The most successful squashes and pumpkins I've grown, were sown directly into the top of the compost bin
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, last week I sowed my parsnips and carrots in my raised bed thingys. I think I planted half of the parsnip one, so I could put swede in the other bit later, but I am such an idiot, I should have marked it and can't remember if there was a boundary or not, or where I stopped planting the carrots either. }hairout{ There was a little mound of seed where I think I spilled some though. I will have to wait and see what comes up. If I water them. :oops:

Other than that.....I am officially rubbish. I must sow some seeds but have absolutely no spare energy at the moment.
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I CHALLENGE THE OFFICIAL THAT MADE THAT CLAIM {warn}
Be kind to yourself Helen, you have only just started back at the garden centre job - you are allowed to be a bit weary til you are back in the swing again. Just please remember last year and limit your plans a bit , grow that which you will use (no brussel sprouts!), oh and what was the name of the yellow toms or were they tumbling toms that you suggested last year please ?
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks Annie. Just really tired at the moment!

Yes, both the yellow and red tumbling toms are absolutely fab. Last year I grew them in pots on the log store roof and let them tumble. I also had a couple on the outside windowsill and one in a basket. All did really well. I also rather like as T&M 'balconi' (again red and yellow varieties) which have a really odd little growing habit - almost look like they are curling up but they always do it so I assume it's normal! . They produce well though.
Helen xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

thats the one I was struggling to remember Balconi, tks Helen
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ta Da!!!! Oh haven't I been good! .ang.

Decided really it was now or never, so have planted (all indoors)

Lettuce -Little Gem
6 types of tomatoes (oh dear...why???) - Balconi: red and yellow, Tumbling Tom: red and yellow, Gardener's Delight and Moneymaker.
Butternut Squash - Hunter
2 other types of Squash - Delikates and Sweet Dumpling (neither did well last year)
Courgettes -Gold rush (yellow) and Astia (Green)
Lovage
Leeks - Winter Atlanta

I also started to harvest last year's carrots in a tub. Perfect (if a little late!)

All of the pots are in propagators on my lounge windowsill, except I have popped the lettuce into the mini greenhouse to save space.

Other than some more herbs and beetroot, that will be it for me I think.

Maybe cucumbers.... >coc<
Helen xx

perchy

Post by perchy »

Well done Helen, you know you want to grow cucumbers {hug}
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Helen see if you can find some socrates cucumbers. I tried 3 years running and failed with cucumbers then a mate suggested socrates and I had a huge crop. They are an all female variety so no messing about pinching out male flowers. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Have the socrates cucumbers got to be grown under glass or will they grow in sunny spot outside, Al.
Helen - sorry to but in on your diary.