American Lady's Little Garden

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Re: American Lady's Little Garden

Post by Knikitta »

Could always do a Herb pot to go with your other products as well, Mint, Basil etc at the front of the pot and salad at the back (depending on the pot size).
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I have a wooden box that's about 12 inches by 24 inches. Maybe big enough to plant some herbs in. Would love to have some parsley, basil, and maybe some rosemary. Any other suggestions?
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Chives, marjoram, oregano?
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

[*] >mmm< >mmm<

[b]Thanks much![/b]
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Americanlady wrote:
Bev, I take it you don't have swamp coolers there. Well, it sort of looks like an air conditioner box, but water is pumped through these sorts of pads around three sides of it (inside) and it has a fan that blows the cooled air into the room. It's cheaper to buy and to run than a regular air conditioner, but a little old-fashioned. Most people don't use them anymore, but I don't have central air, so this is my chosen cooler.

Don't need swamp coolers here, I put the heating on before the kids got up yesterday! >coc<
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Americanlady wrote:I'm with you Kaeta, I think I want to plant salad greens in my last pot, either some type of lettuce or cress. Maybe spinach.

Bev, I take it you don't have swamp coolers there. Well, it sort of looks like an air conditioner box, but water is pumped through these sorts of pads around three sides of it (inside) and it has a fan that blows the cooled air into the room. It's cheaper to buy and to run than a regular air conditioner, but a little old-fashioned. Most people don't use them anymore, but I don't have central air, so this is my chosen cooler.

Ah righty-ho, know what you mean )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Americanlady wrote:I have a wooden box that's about 12 inches by 24 inches. Maybe big enough to plant some herbs in. Would love to have some parsley, basil, and maybe some rosemary. Any other suggestions?

I think they'd all be grand AmLady )t' :-D I love my fresh herbs and cooking with them. Found Rosemary particularly easy - got some cuttings off my friend's and planted it, years later it's still going strong :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi American Lady

As you are in a hot climate be wary of lettuce,make sure the type you grow are heat tolerant as most run quickly to seed if weather gets to hot.Peppers both chillie and sweet would flourish in the heat ,wish we could get some of your weather hear at the moment although today is pleasent but how long for +confused+ .
I have a sister in California who says they would love some of our rain ,reckons it gets depressing when its hot and dry every day ,we humans are hard to please >gl< with your garden.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Hello again. Bill, my pots are on my deck, half of which has a roof over it. The pots are on wheelie things so I can move them into the shade if need be, so I think I will try lettuce. Thanks for the advice - I'll pay attention to make sure it's not too hot for it. I have planted sweet peppers and I found one little node peeping out among the leaves!! My first pepper! Also, I found several strawberries, just a touch of red showing on a few of them. Looks like a couple of blooms on the tomato are changing to tomatoes, too. This gardening is a real kick, isn't it!?

Yes, it's getting pretty warm here. High 80s today and I'm having to water the lawn every couple of days. Dread my water bill, but I can't let it dry up. Fortunately I have a couple of big shade trees in the yard, so able to bear the heat. I'd better be, as it will get much hotter in the next few months!
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Yay! Got to eat 4 of my strawberries today - so sweet and juicy. My tomato plant has grown at least 6 inches this week. Quite a few flowers on it. Even one of my pepper plants has some flowers starting. I feel like a regular farmer!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Seriously worried about this forum - its all about addictions ! First chickens and now gardening {rofwl} . Even if the 1st picking is just 4 strawberries - as you say , how sweet and juicy are they and if they are picked on a warm day so much the better. I bet you are thinking already that next year you will go bigger and better )t' Good luck with the rest of your produce .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Thanks, Annie. You're right, too. Bigger and better next year for sure.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Well done with your strawberries )c( hope everything else's coming on well
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

The past two weeks have been rain, rain, rain and windy! In spite of that I have one reasonably large green pepper, about the size of a golf ball, and lots and lots of little tiny ones on their way. Strawberries are very pretty, sweet and juicy. Getting about five or six each day. Tomato plant is LOADED with little tiny newbies, so hoping for some really good warm sunny weather to help them grow. This silly little garden of mine is a constant source of pleasure and pride. Think what I'd be like if I had a nice big garden like all of you! Hope you all get great crops all summer and fall.