Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:Well what i say Angela if you dont ask you dont get,doesnt allways work though {rofwl}
Glad seeds arrived ok and hope you get a nice show with them,cooler today 15deg better for me has bin to hot )t'

Autumn is bitter sweet, I love the temp too, but colder weather on the way. The chilly nights make sleeping better though. )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

About a bit earlyer today got to take car for MOT,going to see about harvesting some of that sweetcorn when i get back )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I didn't realise there was a 7.45 in the morning ! {rofwl} hope your car sails through its MOT.
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:I didn't realise there was a 7.45 in the morning ! {rofwl} hope your car sails through its MOT.

There will have to be a time before that on operation day,if i get the first shift got to be in by 6.30 am yike*
Going to tease you with Sweetcorn now ,well look what we have for tea )c(

I am realy chuffed with it this year Angela,big cobs good germination and realy sweat still only picking the odd ones though that have had the most sun,you realy must do some next year. )t'

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Hummmmmm 3 sweetcorn cobs well that's you,Wendy and meeeeee {rofwl} do you mean there's a 6.30 in the morning too ? Best to get the op done and dusted before lunch, Hospital food can be quite good )eat( did the car pass ?
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Hummmmmm 3 sweetcorn cobs well that's you,Wendy and meeeeee {rofwl} do you mean there's a 6.30 in the morning too ? Best to get the op done and dusted before lunch, Hospital food can be quite good )eat( did the car pass ?

Might take me own grub in with me )t' Yep car ok all done and dusted for another year thank goodness. )c(

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

You up late again Bill ! And I know what you doing {rofwl} glad the cars ok )t'
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thursday 5th Sept 2013

Roll on tomorrow so hot hear today not even a sea breeze ,things suposed to change tomorrow much cooler with lots of rain )c(
With that in mind after the morning shopping, thought i would get the rest of me early spuds up while its lovely and dry.
Also took half of me late ones up as well ,had alot of potatoes per root and some nice sized ones ,but on the down side had lots of green ones due to me setting the rows to close so cant heap up as i would have liked to ,next year will go for 3 rows in my raised beds instead of 4 in a 2 meter wide bed.Lots with scabs as well but dont think the hot dry weather has helped but seem ok once peeled )t'

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

That's a good lot of tates there Bill. We've had it hot here too gone cloudy now, rain tomorrow apparantly )t'
Angela
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Grand haul of tatties there Bill and me mouths fair watering looking at that there sweetcorn, i bet its gorgeous without any butter too )eat(
Im a bit wierd cause i like sweetcorn raw, not too much mind the old insides would probably complain, but i bet nothing tastes as good a your own.

That tommy chutney looks good too, and I bet Wendy would be able to work her tasty magic on the glut of pears and baking apples we have this year.
I suppose I'll just end up stewing and freezing some as iv never made anything like preserves i wouldnt know where to start >shrug< Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:That's a good lot of tates there Bill. We've had it hot here too gone cloudy now, rain tomorrow apparantly )t'

Wether more comfy for me old folk now ,looks like we will be having tates every way there is .
Things comeing to an end in the garden now Angela ,few more beans left to pull Wendy estemates frozen abot 35 to 40 lb this year.Still got sweetcorn to harvest cook 4 everyday for snacks cant leave it alone,nice raw as well.Tomatoes looking a bit tired now ,soon be time for green tomatoe chutney ,still hopeing for some Sprouts if the caterpillers dont eat the lot,but all in all dont think we will starve.
Have you started prepairing your runner bean patch yet ,and a 6ftx6ft square for your Sweetcorn you growing next year )t'

Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Bill you have had great successes this year and I've enjoyed reading and seeing the fruits of your labour. I ate my first sweetcorn today, I followed your advice shaking the plants so they woud polenate, it was really yum.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Linda S wrote:Grand haul of tatties there Bill and me mouths fair watering looking at that there sweetcorn, i bet its gorgeous without any butter too )eat(
Im a bit wierd cause i like sweetcorn raw, not too much mind the old insides would probably complain, but i bet nothing tastes as good a your own.

That tommy chutney looks good too, and I bet Wendy would be able to work her tasty magic on the glut of pears and baking apples we have this year.
I suppose I'll just end up stewing and freezing some as iv never made anything like preserves i wouldnt know where to start >shrug< Lindaxx

Hi there Linda

The sweetcorn is lush so sweet and melts in the mouth mmmmm,you are not wierd eating it raw i often pull one off and sit up the garden and eat it,just got to mind the earwigs {rofwl}
Pears Wendy said any access would bottle them can do with apples as well ,cookers for apple sauce ,and sliced frozen for pies and crumbls,will stick you a recipe on if you want to try it. )t'

2 vanilla pods
100 g sugar
1 litres 600 ml water
2 drops rose water
2 pears
2 apples
Method
1. Place the vanilla pods in a pan with the sugar, rosewater and water. Dissolve the sugar over a gentle heat and simmer the syrup for 30 minutes.

2. Peel core and quarter the fruit and add to the syrup. Poach for a further 20 minutes

3. Remove the fruit from the syrup and place in sterilised jars.

4. Bring the syrup to a fast boil, and pour over the fruit in the jar. Cover the jars with a disc of greaseproof paper and seal immediately with the lid.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Funky chicken wrote:Bill you have had great successes this year and I've enjoyed reading and seeing the fruits of your labour. I ate my first sweetcorn today, I followed your advice shaking the plants so they woud polenate, it was really yum.

Thank you so glad it turned out ok,you certainly cant buy the taste of fresh grown Sweetcorn ,hope i can convince lots more people on down the lane to give it a go its not hard to grow ,doesnt need to much room ,not affected by bugs and tastes mmmmmm.Good rich fertile soil is the answer )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

With the glut of Blackberrys this year ,Wendy has been looking at ways of useing some up ,crumbls,pies are very very nice but her latest idea is a Blackberry Bakewell cake,arent i lucky )t'